Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Am I blessed?





While Jesus was speaking,
a woman from the crowd called out and said to him,
"Blessed is the womb that carried you
and the breasts at which you nursed."
He replied, "Rather, blessed are those
who hear the word of God and observe it."
Luke 11:27-28

How often do I say that I am blessed because of what I have: loving wife, lovely home, good health, large family, membership in several communities, good friends, more than sufficient resources? And yet, Jesus makes clear that if I am blessed, it is not because of any of these, as important as they might be.
I am blessed if I hear the word of God and live it. I can do this only because God makes it possible in me. It is nothing that I do so that I deserved to be blessed. My only role is to hear the word of God and then respond to it with an unconditional yes. Do I do that? That is what determines whether or not I am blessed.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment