Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

All in?




When Jesus looked up he saw some wealthy people
putting their offerings into the treasury
and he noticed a poor widow putting in two small coins.
He said, "I tell you truly,
this poor widow put in more than all the rest;
for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth,
but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood."
Luke 21:1-4


This little scene has nothing to do with contributions to a church...even though it has been used by church fundraisers over and over. This story is placed at the beginning of chapter 21 which is filled with Jesus' teaching about the end times and about what will be required of those who follow him. The previous chapter ends with the notice that the chief priests and leaders were searching for a way to rid themselves of jesus after his teaching in the temple on his arrival in Jerusalem.

In this context this story is about the extent to which one will be a disciple. Nothing less than total and complete commitment will do. Those who think they an follow Jesus and continue their ordinary life in the world are either fooling themselves or do not fully comprehend what Jesus is teaching.

My discipleship requires that I give over and give up my very life to Jesus the Christ, that I hold nothing back. Remember the rich young man who couldn't do thsi because he had so much? I do and the memory unsettles me.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment