Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

The judge and the widow





"While it is true that I neither fear God nor respect any human being,
because this widow keeps bothering me
I shall deliver a just decision for her
lest she finally come and strike me."
Luke 18:5


The Irish Jesuit site, Living Space, referencing Sr. Melanie Svoboda, provide a different interpretation of this well known parable of the unjust judge and the persistent widow. What if I view the unjust judge, not as the Divine One, but as me? The Divine One then becomes the widow badgering me to do the right thing, the just thing. This makes more sense and surely speaks more directly to my life and concerns. While it is true that the Divine One cares for us and will provide the everlasting life to which each of us is called, there is no guarantee that justice will be done in this earthly pilgrimage unless I and others do justice for those less powerful, on the margins and forgotten by those in power.

I pray that I will hear the demands for justice and will be the channel for the Divine One to do justice in the world.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment