Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Am I the master or the servant?





Jesus said to the Apostles:
“Who among you would say to your servant
who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field,
‘Come here immediately and take your place at table’?
Would he not rather say to him,
‘Prepare something for me to eat.
Put on your apron and wait on me while I eat and drink.
You may eat and drink when I am finished’?
Is he grateful to that servant because he did what was commanded?
So should it be with you.
When you have done all you have been commanded, say,
‘We are unprofitable servants;
we have done what we were obliged to do.’”
Luke 17:7-10


It is so interesting to me that I typically read this story as an allegory in which I am the master. This, of course, complicates my understanding because the behavior of the master seems at odds with the typically generous and solicitous attitude displayed by Jesus in the gospel stories. Leaping over 2000 years of social and cultural history, I feel that I as master would of course invite the hard working servant to share a meal with me.

But if I read this as an allegory in which the master is The Divine One and I am the servant, a different meaning emerges, surely the one the early church meant to convey.

I am a creature of the Divine One and I am to live out that reality in my day to day life. I have obligations based on that reality to live a life of faithfulness. When I live that life, I don't deserve any special praise or thanks from the Divine One because I am only doing what I was created to do. The reward comes from living that life and living it to the fullest.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment