Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Who do you say that I am?

Diversity in the back garden
Then he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”Peter said in reply, “The Christ of God.”  He rebuked them and directed them not to tell this to anyone. Luke 9:21
 This the question for me and all of us.  Who do I say Christ is for me today, right now in my life.  What does it mean to say now that he is the Christ of God?  The meaning within the context of first century Jewish belief is clear but what does it mean today?  A messiah or Christ is one who saves, who delivers us from evil.

For me that can only mean a relationship that saves me from the evil of which I am capable.  It is no longer one who saves me from others but from myself.  By entering into a relationship with Jesus, I come to an understanding of who I am in the deepest sense.  I join him in the interior life of the Triune Divine One both sacramentally and in some way in reality.  All this leads toward a fullness of life when I enter into that life completely and finally.

So for me, Jesus is the one who takes my hand and walks with me into that eternal reality for which I was formed and birthed.  Can I live my life today in light of that reality?  That is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment