Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Join the family

Cabbage for food and display in Queenston
He said to them in reply, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it.”  Luke 8:21
There are several times in scripture where Jesus makes what appear to be "hard" saying about his family.  Here he seems to discount his mother and his brothers who have come to town to see him.  Of course, he is making a point to us, to me really, about my life.  Jesus invites me to join his family, not his earthly family but the intercommunion of the Divine One.  He invites me to enter into the interior life of the three persons in the one divinity.  I enter that life as his brother; I enter in his place so to speak, not to replace him but to join him.

All I have to do is accept the invitation, one that is offered to every person.  It is not just by saying yes but by hearing the word of God and acting on it in my life.

So the central question is always, "What is the Divine One saying to me today, here in my life as it really is?"  That word is surely different in some ways today than the word to me twenty years ago, or forty years ago, or ten years from now.  This is the question on which I am to reflect today to see if I can hear that word.

No comments:

Post a Comment