Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

We are destined for everlasting life.

Apples at Hurd Orchard
"He saved us and called us to a holy life, not according to our works but according to his own design and the grace bestowed on us in Christ Jesus before time began, but now made manifest through the appearance of our savior Christ Jesus, who destroyed death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel...." 2 Timothy 1:9-10
Here is the revelation by Jesus Christ that changes everything.  We do not die even though we die.  But we do die.  In fact, we have to die in order to enter into that everlasting life within the life of the Divine One, the Trinity.  The Christian believes against any evidence to the contrary that life we experience now is both real and incomplete.  There is something else at work in us, something that we do not deserve or earn but which is freely given to us by the Divine One.

This underlying spirit of life is not given to just few but to all.  I have struggled my whole life--and will continue to I am sure--to understand or just to accept that and to live my life out of that belief.  In my best moments I can realize that this reality puts everything in life in a different perspective.  All the things I worry about--health, security, acceptance, knowledge--are not ultimate realities for me.   They are important but not ultimate.  In the end, we all die and are raised to eternal life.  Help me to live my life out of that reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment