Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Monday, November 21, 2016

I am to give it my all

Ice sculpture from Mom's birthday party
“I tell you truly,this poor widow put in more than all the rest;for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth,but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood.” Luke 21:3-4
It almost goes without saying that this little story has nothing to do with financial contributions to a church.  The macro context of the teachings of Jesus have nothing to do with financial contributions.  His teachings all describe a way of life that leads to life ever lasting.

The message here is simple but difficult.  I am called to live my whole life--every bit of it, nothing held back--in the way Jesus taught.  Whether in public or in private, in family relationships or friendships, in drudgery or creative activity, in sorrow or in joy, in prosperity or poverty, I am to live wholeheartedly the life of one who seeks and live in union with Jesus the Messiah of the Divine One.

The widow in the story commits everything she has and is.  Jesus asks no less of us, not in a financial sense but in an existential sense.  Another saying of Jesus sums this up with a rather stark saying:  Love your enemies!

“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." Luke 6:27-28
Most of the time, I think I might prefer to write a check, even a big one, rather than have to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment