Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

We are called to a generous and gracious life

Lower Falls of the Genesee River in Letchworth Park
"You have been treated generously, so live generously."  Matthew 10:8

These are the words of Jesus to the 12 apostles as he sends them out to spread the word of the Reign of God.  This translation is from The Message.  We may be more familiar with this rendering:  "You received without payment; give without payment."  All I am and all I have are graced to me by the Divine One.  In a sense, who I am and what I have is given to me to give to others in a generous and gracious way.  The Christian way is not a way of quid pro quo.  It is a path of opening to others because it is our deepest nature to do so.  Our generosity is not to be a function of the response of others.  There is a peacefulness to a life that is not taken up with constant calculations of how others should respond to us but simply lives generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment