Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

It is not about bargaining with the Divine

If our God, whom we serve,can save us from the white-hot furnace and from your hands, O king, may he save us!  But even if he will not, know, O king, that we will not serve your god or worship the golden statue that you set up.”  Daniel

I know that I wrestle with the whole notion of praying to the Divine One to intervene in human life directly and specifically.  This is often when a loved one or friend confronts a health or financial difficulty in his or her life.  Do I believe that the Divine One directly intervenes in some lives but not in others?  Is it a question of some prayers being answered and others not?  Is it a function of how well or how hard one prays?  None of these questions leads me to a very satisfactory conclusion.

However, the three yooung men in the fiery furnance offer an alternative.  If the Divine One can intervene, I pray that the Divine One will intervene to reduce or eliminate the issues and challenges.  But if that does not happen, it changes nothing; it really makes no difference.  I am called, as we all are, to discipleship to The Divine Word.  My life should reflect that reality,, no matter what the realities of my life might be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment