Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Friday, January 4, 2013

What, indeed, do I seek?




And Jesus turned and saw them following, and said to them, “What do you seek?” John 1:38

Two disciples of John the Baptist--one of whom we learn later is Andrew, one of the twelve--begin to follow after Jesus as he walks by them and is hailed by John as the Lamb of God, the Messiah. Jesus notices them, turns, and asks them the above question. It is the question that lies at the heart of the life of a disciple: What do I seek? What do I want?

This is a profoundly unsettling question. If I think of what I might want, none of that seems to be truly my heart's desire: health, longevity, creativity, calmness, peacefulness, energy, etc. When St. Ignatius reflected on this, he came to the conclusion that all those things and more were all gifts from the Divine One and thus were to be offered back to the Divine One. All Ignatius needed was the Divine One's love, which he already had and thus didn't need to ask for.

In this sense I want a recognition of the Divine One's love for me as a person and a response to that love in a way that recreates me as a child of the Trinity. If I have that, I have all I need.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment