Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I love because I am first loved




In this is love:
not that we have loved God, but that he loved us
and sent his Son as expiation for our sins.
1 John 4:10

It is hard for us not to think that we have to love God in order for God to love us. Nothing could be farther from traditional Christian teaching. The Divine One first loves us, each of us, unconditionally and equally, regardless of how we live our lives or what we believe. It is so hard to accept that but it is and has to be absolutely true.

Our response to this love is what can and does vary. If we truly love the Divine One, that is if we truly and fully accept and respond to the love offered to us, then we will love others, indeed all of creation, with the same unconditional love that works in us. Just like the Divine One, our love of others does not depend on their living up to our code of behavior, our standards.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment