Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Can it be that each of us is chosen?




2-5 At that time there was a man named Manoah from Zorah from the tribe of Dan. His wife was barren and childless. The angel of God appeared to her and told her, “I know that you are barren and childless, but you’re going to become pregnant and bear a son. But take much care: Drink no wine or beer; eat nothing ritually unclean. You are, in fact, pregnant right now, carrying a son. No razor will touch his head—the boy will be God’s Nazirite from the moment of his birth. He will launch the deliverance from Philistine oppression.” Judges 13:2-7

This is the beginning of the story of Samson in the Hebrew Scriptures, one of the Bible stories I remember well from my time in Catholic grade school. Today's gospel provides a parallel account of the miraculous conception of John the Baptist. There are many other similar stories in the Hebrew Scripture about the divinely caused conception of people important to the establishment of the Reign of God flowing out of the covenant. This reaches its apex with the account of the birth of Jesus, the very incarnation of the Divine One in a human being.

But what does all this have to do with me? Every birth is miraculous and is an incarnation of Godself into the world. Each of us is chosen to prepare the way for all humans to accept the entry of the Divine One into their lives. I am chosen to live my life in way that gives evidence of that acceptance and that makes clear that a life lived out of the spirit of the Divine One is a life of fulness and joy, lived out in the actual world of messiness, disorder, sadness, and evil and the actual world of peace, joy, love, and compassion. Each of us is chosen.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment