Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pick up a cross daily




23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. 25 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? Luke 9:23-25


This is from the readings for the day after Ash Wednesday. We begin to hear the rather stark and challenging message of the Divine One become human. To follow Jesus is not about believing certain dogmas, not about engaging in specific religious actions. It is not even about doing good works. It is about letting go of our sense of control of our lives and letting Jesus be in charge...just as he had to relinquish control of his own life and let the Father's will be done.

My very identity is at stake. Who am I really? Am I to be defined by the addictive self gratifications that often seem to control my life? Or am I to be who I am really am...an incarnation of the Divine Spirit in a way uniquely my own and yet the same as every living being? Lent is time to enter into that reality and to live from that deepest identity.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment