Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Monday, December 24, 2012

The dawn is about to break.




"In the tender compassion of our God
the dawn from on high shall break upon us,
to shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death,
and to guide our feet into the way of peace."
Luke 1:79


This final sentence from Luke's gospel for Christmas Eve is a lovely summary of the Incarnation. This is a part of the Benedictus said by Zechariah at the circumcision of his son, John the Baptist. The Benedictus is said everyday in the Divine Office at the conclusion of morning prayer.

This refers to breaking into human existence of the Divine One. It refers to the Incarnation of the divine into the fully human, Jesus the Christ. But most importantly it refers to those of us who profess to be baptized disciples of Jesus the Christ. We are members of the Body of Christ which is just another way of saying that we are Christ. We are to be that dawn breaking on high that will bring light to those in darkness and peace to those who live in fear.

Am I up to the task? Can I risk commitment to that task knowing that I will fail. It helps to remember the prayer attributed to Oscar Romero.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment