Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

This is no way to run an economy!






Give me enough food to live on,
neither too much nor too little.
If I’m too full, I might get independent,
saying, ‘God? Who needs him?’
If I’m poor, I might steal
and dishonor the name of my God.”
Proverbs 30:5

Perhaps it is symptomatic of being a 20th Century American, but I certainly would think that having my daily bread means that I would eat until I am full, i.e., to the point where I couldn't eat any more. Consistently eating until one is full, however, would be to overeat consistently. Don't the statistics about over weight and obese Americans give evidence of our over indulgence, all in the name of having enough.
In fact, I have more than I need...of everything. I can consume to the point of fullness, that is, to the point that I can consume no more. If I reach that point, I have over consumed and will be filled with the things of this world and with my own ego. If I don't have enough, that is, less than I need, I may well become desperate and engage in unlawful behavior. While this may seem reminiscent of Aristotle's "moderation" principle, it becomes something much more radical when understood in a Christian context. It becomes something much more like Ignatius Loyola's prayer "Suscipe."
Take Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. Thou hast given all to me. To Thee, O lord, I return it. All is Thine, dispose of it wholly according to Thy will. Give me Thy love and thy grace, for this is sufficient.

But now, here is the odd thing. When it comes to grace--life eternal within the Divine reality of Trinity as a community of love--there is no moderation. The Divine offers to each of us life and love without limitation or condition. Here is where we are called to eat till we are full and even over full. We cannot get enough of that grace.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment