Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Why this blog...and why now?




These are two questions which seem reasonable when starting a new blog. The answers are not so obvious or clear to me but here goes. For many years, the last thirty anyway, I have from time to time kept a journal. Mostly the entries were triggered by prayer, reflection, reading of scripture of various kinds, spiritual direction, retreats, and other more formal prayer experiences. About eight years ago or so, I went through the 19th annotation, a way of experiencing the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius throughout a year rather than concentrated in a single month. Also I journaled a lot during times of sustained psychological therapy which I did three times in my life so far.
I found that by writing down my thoughts and reactions, I came to deeper and more complicated understanding of what I was experiencing. These are scattered in various notebooks and more recently computer folders and files. I have almost never gone back and read these. Sometimes I reflect on what to do with them. While I don't reread them, I can't quite get myself to the point of just destroying them. I realize, of course, that if I don't do something with them, they will at some point pass on to someone--my wife, my children--without any explanation and without any context.
I typically get up early, before anyone else in the household. That provides me with time of calm and quiet to read the daily scripture from the lectionary and other writings and to reflect on that. At home I typically do this in the sunroom. Where I sit I have the view shown in the photograph in this post.
Often--but not always--I will write down some reflections including a scripture or other quotation that has stimulated my reflection. Some of these are familiar like old friends and others are new thoughts which take me in new directions, toward new questions, and new insights.
So for the next couple of months or so, say till the beginning of Lent, I will make these notes in this blog which will be available to anyone who wishes to view them.  One never knows what happens to material one puts on the web and so it will be with this.  There will be only two exclusions.  I will not post anything to do with politics.  I have learned that this can be divisive rather than disclosive.  In any event, I have a general blog where I can put that.  Second I will not post reflections that deal with my personal issues in any detail or those of others in any way.  I will always try to include one of my photos in each posting since photography is part of my spiritual practice, helping me to be present to world in a powerful way.
So in answer to the second question--why now?--I have no clear idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment