Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Would my life make anyone uncomfortable?

To us he is the censure of our thoughts; 
merely to see him is a hardship for us,
Because his life is not like that of others,
and different are his ways.  Wisdom 2:12-22

Although the Book of Wisdom is n ot included in most Bibles, it provides an insight into the lives of thsoe who are living righteous life.  This passage speaks of the reaction of the people to a prophet whose very life is a testimony against the way they are living their lives.  This testimony--whether spoken or not--sets them on edge, makes their uneasy, and often results in violence against the prophet.

St. Francis told his follwers to "preach always, use words if necessary."  It was this kind of preaching by living that tthe passage from Wisdom describes.  It is easy enough to shrug off words--no matter how eloquent or persuasive..  It is difficult to ignore a life that lives out such a reality.  Mother Theresa.'s life and actions were the eloguqent and discomforting expression of her faith.

The question for me is whether my life is an example of evangelical values that discomforts people..  Or is my life really no different from a life that proceeds from the values of the world.  Do I by my very life make others uncomfortable?   Do I seek to be around people whose lives make me feel uncomfortable because they exemplify the values of Jesus rather than the values of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment