Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It is not the law that saves..

It was not through the lawthat the promise was made to Abraham and his descendantsthat he would inherit the world,but through the righteousness that comes from faith.For this reason, it depends on faith,so that it may be a gift,and the promise may be guaranteed to all his descendants.  Romans

How hard it is for me to escape the necessary childhood formation that being obedient is the guding principle of one's life.  It is no doubt necessary for children to be obedent because it keeps them safe and provides them with a stable and secure environment.   But it is not a healthy principle ffor a mature person.  Paul is making that point by reminding us that it is our faith in the Christ that gives us life and wholeness. 

A mature Christian relies on faith, not adherence to the law.  This is what explains the doubt, ambiguities and vitality of faith as opposed to a dry and lifeless obedience to a law or set of rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment