Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Glorification: right here, right now!

Sun Rise on South Beach

"Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him.If God is glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself,and he will glorify him at once.My children, I will be with you only a little while longer.You will look for me, and as I told the Jews,'Where I go you cannot come,' so now I say it to you."  John 13:31-33
These words are spoken by Jesus to his small group of people who will carrying his message to the entire world after his death.  Judas, the betrayer, has just left the group after Jesus identifies him to John.  So now it is just those who are closest to him.  This begins the great discourse to the apostles at what has become known as "The Last Supper."  These are the final words of Jesus as he begins his journey to the Divine One of whom he is an integral member.

He begins with these almost mysterious words.  I have often puzzled over the meaning here.  What follows is only my humble understanding at this time and place.  I know that it deepens my relationship with Jesus.  Whether it would pass any scholarly test or not I do not know.  For me, "glory" is the life of the Divine One, the very principle that is at the core of its being, which animates the being of the Divine One and emanates from it.

Now as Jesus begins the journey of his crucifixion and resurrection, it is as though time became irrelevant; it was as though past, present and future collapse into a deep reality, a different level of being.  Jesus as the Messiah enters into that reality which has always been his life and always will be.  The triune Divine One is three persons interpenetrating the life of each other in a way that is beyond human comprehension.

In today's gospel for the Tuesday of the week before Easter, the next two verses are left out.  I suppose the Church wants to save these for the reading on Holy Thursday where John's complete version is read.  However, these verses are the ones that provide us with the insight Jesus was communicating about the Divine and about each of us.

"I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.  This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."  John 13:34-35.
We are called to enter into the glorification of Jesus, the glorification that mutually exists between Jesus and the Divine One.  We do that by entering into the deepest reality of divine life, love.  We are to love each other in the same way that Jesus loved his apostles and in the same way that the Divine One loves Jesus.

Just as the Divine One glorifies Jesus, it glorifies each of us.  Time that seems so important to us is irrelevant in this process.  Glorification is here and now, in the past, and in the future in a way that defies human understanding.

Can I let go of my need to understand (and thus control) so that I can enter into this mystery?

No comments:

Post a Comment