Welcome

This is a blog that I post to several times a week although not necessarily daily. These reflections are triggered by the scripture found in the lectionary used by many Christian denominations. While I am part of the Catholic tradition, these posts are not --or rarely--sectarian. I try to put myself in the space of a of Jesus Christ and listen to words that come to me as I read and pray the scriptures. Each post also includes a photograph. These rarely have any connection to the content of the post but are simply pleasing images that I capture as I make my pilgrimage through life.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Tale of Two Translations





So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:48 New American Bible


48 “In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.” Matthew 5:48 The Message


The first translation is technically correct but largely meaningless. What does it mean to be perfect as God is perfect. Even if I had some conception of what that means, it is clearly impossible and thus irrelevant to my everyday life. The second translation seeks to get at the meaning--the message if you will--of the passage so that it can have meaning in my life. While obviously still difficult, at least the notion of "living generously and graciously toward others" is understandable and thus more likely to become part of my life.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Charissa Run,Rochester,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment